Coming to Kamloops? We have compiled a list of FAQ’s to help you plan your visit.
1. Are the highways open?
- All major routes in and out of Kamloops remain open. For the latest updates on routes and road conditions, please check DriveBC.
2. What's the air quality like in Kamloops?
- Air quality is changing daily. We recommend checking with the Air Quality Health Index and our webcams for up to date information and visuals.
3. What parks are still open in Kamloops?
- At this time, Paul Lake Provincial Park and Lac Le Jeune Provincial Park are open and have great day-use areas with swimming and hiking. Riverside Park, McDonald Park, Albert McGowan Park and Prince Charles Park are all also still open and a great options if you are seeking playgrounds, water parks, Music in the Park or live outdoor theatre.
4. Why are some parks closed?
- Due to the recent high temperatures and low precipitation, the City of Kamloops has closed all City nature parks as a precaution. If you are interested in exploring the outdoors, please connect with our Visitor Centre for suggestions.
5. What are some indoor attractions in Kamloops?
- There are a number of indoor attractions and activities available including city pools, the Kamloops Art Gallery, Kamloops Museum, wine tasting, craft breweries and more. Family friendly coupons available for download here.
6. Where exactly are the fires?
- Several fires continue in the surrounding region, mostly northwest of Kamloops. The best place to monitor the current fire status is the BC Wildfire Service website.
7. Are there any businesses offering discounts or free services for evacuees?
- Our community and industry partners have stepped up in a big way! The Kamloops Chamber of Commerce has a complied a comprehensive list of discounts and special offers here.
8. How can we help?
- If you are interested in volunteering, please proceed to the Sandman Centre evacuation centre and register as a volunteer. If you are interested in donating, we recommend the British Columbia Fires Appeal (Canadian Red Cross).
9. If we come, will we be taking space away for an evacuee?
- No. Kamloops has many different accommodation options. We have a great selection of hotel and motel properties, campgrounds and bed & breakfasts. If you'd like help finding a room, please contact our Visitor Centre 250-374-3377.
Our Visitor Centre team is always happy to help! If you have further questions, call us at 250-374-3377 or follow our social channels for updates (twitter @tourismkamloops l facebook.com/tourismkamloops.com)