Kamloops MRDT Renewal
MRDT (Municipal Regional District Tax) is a leading funding mechanism driving strategic destination marketing and destination development on behalf of the Kamloops tourism industry. This funding ignites innovative and highly competitive strategies and tactics delivered by Tourism Kamloops to return $500 million annually to the Kamloops Visitor Economy and direct benefit to Kamloops tourism businesses. To support your renewal of the MRDT for the next 5 years, please find insights, information and metrics to demonstrate past performance and visioning for future deliverables. Now more than ever, a positive MRDT renewal will lead the Kamloops tourism industry through pandemic recovery to recapture and elevate our destination competitiveness.
A Message from the KAA Chair
“On behalf of our Board of Directors, I sincerely hope you find this resource informational and beneficial. Our Board can’t express enough the importance of the MRDT and the significance of what the funds raised through the MRDT have meant to our accommodation sector in Kamloops. We hope that by reviewing this information, you too will understand that the MRDT has been instrumental in growing the overall visitation to our City, and growing the “pie” that we all eat from. Numbers do not lie, and the numbers outlined here show that we’ve seen significant increases because of both the initial 2% MRDT, and then even further gains realized in our shoulder season following the onset of the additional 1% in MRDT. We hope that you will continue to support the MRDT as we vote soon on its renewal, and that you will reach out to me or anyone else on the board if you have any questions or concerns.”
- Tyson Andrykew, Kamloops Accommodation Association Chair
Communication & Engagement Performance
This past year has been a roller coaster for all, but above all, the Tourism Kamloops team made it a priority to stay in touch with stakeholders offering support, resources, tools and guidance.
- Tourism Kamloops team engaged in an immediate budget revision
- Tourism Kamloops team put on layoff and 50% duty almost immediately
- Team worked full time at 75% pay until June when federal wage subsidy was confirmed
- Prioritized leadership of YKAStrong and later, Luv'n the Loops to support Kamloops businesses throughout pandemic
- For 2020/2021, budget commencing July 1, 2020 demonstrated a $1M decrease; however, dedicated $500M to consumer marketing (TK's largest marketing budget)
- Tourism Kamloops hosted 20 events both in person and online where 343 stakeholders participated.
- In January 2020, Tourism Kamloops held the first industry fam tour, connecting industry to winter experiences and tourism partners.
- In February 2020, the 4th annual BOLD Awards welcomed a sell out crowd celebrating excellence in the Hospitality Awards.
- In an effort to stay connected through the struggles on COVID-19, Tourism Kamloops hosted a first industry social hour on Zoom.
2020 Communication Priorities:
- 10 Press Releases
- 16 Corporate ENewsletters
- 17 KAA ENewsletters
- 15 Special Bulletins
- 53 Industry Blogs
- 2 Surveys
- 5 Industry Update Zoom Sessions
- From April to June 2020, the TK team made 1131 calls to stakeholders.
- Every KAA/Accommodator has received a minimum of 11 calls and/or emails since March 16, 2020.
- From March 16 – October 21, 2020 – nearly 500 phone calls to KAA partners were made by the TK team.
- Tourism Kamloops CEO, Bev DeSantis has conducted 16 one on one Zoom calls with KAA partners.
- Over 550 YKAStrong masks were personally delivered to KAA partners.
2021 Our Competitive Edge
What's Ahead for 2021
- Our brand, imagery and content have elevated Kamloops ahead of other BC destinations and our strategies have aligned with Destination BC's focus on geographic dispersion
- Kamloops is positioned well for a swift recovery with our wide-open spaces, safe and welcoming tourism businesses, remarkable experiences, and an affordable destination
- Tourism Kamloops has newly launched the Accommodation Co-op Marketing Fund to leverage dollars to support enhanced marketing efforts for accommodation partners