Heritage Walking Tour
Calling all history buffs! Embark on a self-guided heritage walking tour and learn about the history behind the cultural buildings in downtown Kamloops.
ACT ADVENTURE TOURS
Book a guided tour with ACT Adventures to learn about the stories behind some of the unique sights of downtown Kamloops.
- Price - $28/person
- Option to add a sample of local beer, wine and Canadiana fare for an additional $20/person
1. Federal Building | 207 Victoria Street West
This wood frame building was constructed in 1900 as a Post Office and is the last remaining building from Kamloops’ first street.
2. Nicola Wagon Road | St. Paul Street West & McIntosh Street
A fragment of road used at one time by the Shuswap, fur traders, gold miners and cattlemen. The road led down to the city of Kamloops.
3. Old CourtHouse | 7 Seymour Street West
Built in 1909, this grand three-storey building is one of Kamloops’ most notable heritage buildings. Inside are mosaic floors, stained glass windows and a courtroom.
4. Cigar Factory | 297 1st Avenue
Built in 1897, the factory employed 25 workers and produced 4,000 authentic Cuban cigars a day. In later years the building became the Model Bakery.
5. City Hall | 7 Victoria Street West
City Hall has been located on the corner of 1st Avenue and Victoria Street West for over 100 years. At one time, the court house, jail and police station shared the same building. Today’s City Hall was built in 1963/1964.
6. Bank of Commerce | 118 Victoria Street
Built in 1904, the business part of the building was located on the 1st floor. The 2nd floor was used by the bachelor male staff as a residence. This building also served as a court house, police station, City Hall and the parks and recreation office.
7. Riverside Park | Lorne Street and 1st to 3rd Avenue
The City of Kamloops began purchasing parkland from the old Shuswap Lumber Mill in 1901. Riverside Park was developed as a picnic and swimming area with many beautiful trees and gardens, and today it still remains the heart of the city.
8. Royal Bank | 205 Victoria Street
Built in 1911/1912, this was one of the finest bank buildings erected and the remains of an elaborate frieze can still be seen along the top edge of the building. The front façade once featured brick columns, arched windows and striped awnings.
9. Fuoco Block | 219–222 Victoria Street
This block was built in 1914 by F. Godman and in 1930 the Fuoco family bought the building. The street level space was always used for retail stores with offices located on the 2nd floor.
10. Kamloops Fire Hall #1 | 125 4th Avenue
Kamloops Fire Hall #1 was built in 1935 to replace the wood frame station on Victoria Street. The new station could accommodate more trucks and a corps of firefighters.
11. Kamloops’ First Fire Hall | 345 Victoria Street
Kamloops’ first fire hall was constructed in 1905 and a team of horses and fire wagon were kept on-site. The city’s first motorized fire trucks were bought in 1911.
12. Ellis Block | 371 Victoria Street
Built in 1914, the Galloway-Ellis Pharmacy opened in 1917. Partner W.O. Ellis bought the building in 1951, and his drugstore operated here under various owners until 1994.
13. Plaza Hotel | 405 Victoria Street
The Kamloops Community Company built the Plaza Hotel in 1927 as a way to promote Kamloops as the “Hub City” of the province. The hotel was designed in the popular Spanish style.
14. St. Paul’s Anglican Cathedral | 360 Nicola Street
The building’s eastern section was built in 1888. Originally on Victoria Street, it was moved to its present location in 1924.
15. Sacred Heart Cathedral | 255 Nicola Street
Built in 1921 to replace a wood frame church, Sacred Heart Cathedral’s architectural features include stained and leaded glass windows, columns, balustraude, a tower and dome.
16. A. Holmes HoUSE | 223 Nicola Street
The style of this home is typical of the 1910 period in Kamloops and is best described as anti-Victorian in sentiment Built in 1909, the home’s overall shape is rectangular and right-angled.
17. George Ellis House | 170 Nicola Street
This house is a classic example of the Arts and Crafts style popular in Kamloops in the 1920s. Built in 1923, the house has tapering verandah columns, exposed rafter ends and decorative barge boards.
18. William O. Ellis House | 118 Nicola Street
Built in 1929, by local pharmacist W.O. Ellis, the house has many features typical of the Arts and Crafts style with architectural trends popularized in the 1930s.
19. Frederick J. Fulton House | 63 Nicola Street West
In 1889, Frederick Fulton came to Kamloops as one of the city’s first lawyers and is famous for prosecuting train robber Bill Miner. He and his wife built this Tudor-style house in 1912.
20. Joseph Stoodley House | 79 Nicola Street West
J. Stoodley served with the School Board and City Hall and his 1926 Arts and Crafts style house features cedar shingle siding and roof, and wide front and back verandahs.
21. E.H. Grubbe House | 157 Nicola Street West
When Eustace Grubbe built this house in 1912, it lay outside city limits. The house features a wide front verandah with sturdy tapered columns and multi-paned windows.
22. Arthur Hatton House | 96 Clarke Street
This Arts and Crafts style house was built in 1921 for long-time North Kamloops Commissioner, Arthur Hatton. Hatton was instrumental in incorporating North Kamloops as a village in 1946.
23. Capt. E. A. Nash House | 59 Battle Street West
Captain Nash came to Kamloops in the 1890s after serving in the North-West Rebellion of 1885. This colonial bungalow, built in 1910, has a long, low verandah similar to the type built by British officers in India.
24. A. Galloway House | 101 Battle Street West
Built in 1928 for City Councillor Archibald Galloway, the house was considered ultramodern at the time. The red brick steps, plate glass windows and small front porch are all original features.
25. F.E. Young House | 133 Battle Street West
Built in 1910 for Frederick Young, the owner and publisher of the Kamloops Standard newspaper, the two-storey house has an expansive wrap around verandah accessed by a broad flight of stairs.
26. Dr. M.S. Wade House | 59 Street Paul Street West
Dr. Mark Wade built this home in 1905. The basic shape of the house is undecorated and angular, but Wade added rich Victorian millwork and slender, turned verandah columns.
27. William Philip House | 31 Street Paul Street West
General store proprietor William Philip built this two-storey Queen Anne Revival house in 1908 with the signature turret and wrap around verandahs.
28. St. Andrew’s Church | 185 Seymour Street
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church is the oldest public building remaining in Kamloops Construction began in September 1887 with the first service held in the completed church on Christmas Day 1887.
29. Stuart Wood School | 245 Street Paul Street
Constructed in 1907 for $30,000, this is the second public school built on this site. The lower floors were used for elementary grades and the top floor for the high school.
30. Memorial Park | Battle Street and 2nd Avenue
Shortly after World War I ended, funds were raised for a war memorial. The Cenotaph was unveiled on May 24, 1925 and trees were planted as living memorials to the Kamloops soldiers who died in the war.