The winter months are the perfect time for ice skating with friends and family. Whether you're looking to skate indoors or go outdoors surrounded by snow-covered trees and views of the Kamloops landscape, there is an ice surface for you.
According to the Canadian Red Cross, ice should be at least 20-25 cm thick for group skating (that’s about 8 inches). Remember, the more people the more weight on the ice. The recommendation for snowmobiling on ice is 25 cm (10 inches).
A few other tips for assessing ice safety:
- Use a drill and tape measure to check the ice thickness
- Don’t go on ice that has open water patches
- Check the ice thickness in different places
- Dark blue ice is safer than opaque white or grey ice
- Consult with the local authority’s ice safety assessments